After making a few practice goes that have all since been spoken for, I made yet another very nice mouse ornament! Each time I make one I think of something new to try out for the next one, so the process is quite fun. This time, I used beads for eyes, really built up the satin stitched nose, stuffed it with rice in its bottom for weight so it sits correctly, doubled the ear felt, changed the whiskers yet again, and tossed on a little winter cap. Oh, and I realized that previously, I happened to have been mistakenly printing the pattern at 93% size so this one was done at 100%. I might play around with size again for a larger one, we shall see.
As part of TextileArtist.org Stitch Club, Haf Weighton inspired me to create a series of medallions representing the theme of “get well”. I used bark-on-wood coasters and fabric collage to highlight the chosen words of each medallion. This piece loosely represents Van Gennep’s rites of passage upon the theme of getting well.