My embroidery guild always has an annual challenge of some type and this year was our “Hoop-D-Do” project, whereby we were to create a work using specific stitches to be displayed in the hoop itself. The particular requirements were: 1) Choice of French or Colonial Knot, 2) Herringbone Stitch, 3) Choice of Whipped Wheel or Woven Rose Stitch, 4) Feather Stitch, 5) Lazy Daisy Stitch, and two more stitches at your discretion.
I ended up with four additional stitches beyond the specified five, and these were: and 1) Turkey Work for the center of the coneflower-esque variety, 2) Stem Stitch for the stems and bowl, 3) Half-Wheel Buttonhole Stitch for the sunflower as well as 4) Straight Stitches to add a bit of color variation in that flower. I also padded my blue Lazy Daisy Stitches in the coneflowers with purple Stem Stitch.
Obviously, I chose the Woven Rose, and I only use French Knots with ribbon work so the center of the sunflower is, of course, Colonial Knots. All the leaves are done in two rows (one light, and one dark) of Single Feather Stitch. The circle frame is done in overlapping Herringbone Stitch.
I had been given a stack of awesome Stitch magazines and some older text books by a friend so while flipping through them, I was inspired by some designs that screamed 1970s to me. So, that is kind of how I developed this idea and the colors I chose. I drew out some curved stems, various circle sizes, and organic feeling “wood grain” lines. To top it all off, when finished, I added an old butterfly pin that felt of that era. Since the piece is to be displayed in the hoop itself, I needed to back it, so I chose a circle of complimenting felt and used a Whip Stitch to secure it.