painting a striped wall

My craft room has come a long way, just as my crafting skills have. Over the years, I have purged a lot of stuff I had collected, moved out some of the furniture to other rooms, and I wanted to give it a make-over but still keep my awesome striped wall. I was never in love with how it turned out – the pink looked purple in a lot of lighting situations and it constantly irked me. My new favorite color combinations are what you see here on this site: browns, pinks, whites, and peaches. Or salmon? Or coral? Does it matter? I love it. Here are the colors I used (though the white is actually a can of almond white I already had):

paint_striped_wall9

So I set to re-painting. First things first, repaint the wall whatever background color (mine is bamboo, but I did not take a picture of the blank wall).

paint_striped_wall1

Then, haphazardly, tape some stripes. They needn’t be measured, they needn’t be 100% vertical, and they needn’t be parallel in any regard. Paint your first color (mine is almond white) and remove the tape.

paint_striped_wall2 paint_striped_wall3

Then, repeat for color number 2. (Mine is cameo appearance).

paint_striped_wall4 paint_striped_wall5

Then add the third color (mine is flatland).

paint_striped_wall6 paint_striped_wall7

And add the last color (mine is comforting peach). I did not take a final shot of the wall by itself, but you’ll see it when I reveal the new look of my craft room!

paint_striped_wall8

Oh, something I should add – what about those cables? Boy bought me a new tv to replace the one that broke while I was at grad school. He knows I hate cables, and the position of the tv did not allow for furniture for any tv gear (we do not have television stations, but we have a media box, and everything gets plugged into high quality surge protectors around here). He asked me if I wanted him to hide the cables in the wall. Uhm, that’s an option? YES. This was the first time he has done that, but it worked out great and I hope to do it in the future when we re-do the game room. The hole on the top is just above a shelf to hold all the gear. The hole in the middle is behind the tv, to plug everything into that. And the hole on the bottom is just next to the outlet so that everything can get power. I might still paint the shelf white or something, but what to do with that big black tv?

hidden_tv_cables2 hidden_tv_cables3 hidden_tv_cables4 hidden_tv_cables1

Recovered office chair

The chair I use in my craft room is a standard counter-height office chair. The dark boring blue color, which didn’t match my room from the start. I thought to myself, if I can recover an ironing board, maybe I can recover my chair. I had no idea what I was doing, but I took the same principles to make slip covers for the chair. That did NOT work. Then I asked myself, why don’t I take this opportunity to finally learn how to staple fabric to stuff?

First things first – I had to separate the two cushions from the chair itself, then separate the plastic backing from the back cushion. I employed Boy to do that for me, and there was a bit of a snafu when one of the attachment points cracked a little. We glued it with all-purpose cement, and about 8 months later, it is holding up as far as I know. If you decide to do this, just be more gentle when prying things apart than we were.

recovered_office_chair1 recovered_office_chair2 recovered_office_chair4 recovered_office_chair3

recovered_office_chair5

I had a large enough portion of this fabric to use, but it was thin so I had to line it since the original cover was so dark. I just used fusible lining, ironed them together, and then went about my business.

recovered_office_chair7

Then, I laid the fabric out, put the cushion on top, folded it over, and used a zillion pins to tug the fabric all around until the front and edges looked great. It was the longest part of this whole process, and I stabbed myself several times.

recovered_office_chair6

Then, I used my easy-fire staple gun, bang! bang! bang! all around the edges (sometimes the thick plastic prevented the staple from securing itself, but mostly I did not have any trouble). A quick snip, snip, snip around the extra bits of fabric, and it was ready to put back together.

recovered_office_chair8 recovered_office_chair9

It really enhanced the room – instead of the eye being drawn to a fugly dark blue chair in a happy light room, it matches wonderfully. Plus, changing it to a cotton is more cat-hair friendly than the weave that they loved to scratch at every now and then…

recovered_office_chair10