Swedish Huck Weaving

My embroidery guild had a Swedish huck weaving project so I opted in! You might remember me mentioning it before, but I finally finished it. The kit came from Nordic Needle though I can no longer find it there – the instructions are still available here, however. To quote the packaging, “what distinguishes huck weaving from other similar styles is the design is worked completely on the top of the fabric, so the thread never appears on the back.”

This design by Sue Meier and she offers a few different colorways. According to the instructions, Sue was inspired by a row of trees edging the farms where she lives. “Depending on whether you are viewing the scene in the autumn, at sunrise or at sunset, the colors will vary from rich golds, rusts and burgundies to beautiful greens and blues, to lavenders, pinks and blues.” My kit included her Autumn Windbreak colors, so of course it is made with threads of red and gold.

This is also my first fringed piece – pretty simple concept. I really enjoyed huck weaving. If I ever accidentally come across the right fabric, I’ll be sure to try my hands at it again – I found it fun, fast, and calming all at once!

The above image was before I washed it. The below image is after. Not only does the fringe look better (though it could use a comb!), but the threads of the towel itself swelled up in the wash and closed the holes. It gives the towel a more sturdy look, and it feels much softer and towel-like. My only qualm is that the colors of the threads did bleed. It’s not overtly noticeable, but you can see it more clearly beneath the stitching, where the length of the towel changed from an off-white to a golden white from the thread. There are some reddish bits here and there around the trees as well. I didn’t realize that a project kitted with DMC thread – for a white cloth, no less! – would bleed. Lesson learned!

WIP-TAST-ic Wednesday 43

No WIPs or TAST to report today but not for the reasons you may think! Nay, it is for a lack of “in-progress” alone that this post contains merely words, for I have finished my last TAST pennant and the huck towel and the UFO challenge. Unfortunately, I haven’t had a moment to photograph them but I expect posts out by the end of the week. Huzzah!

Shawkl’s BCQC 1 block

Let me tell you about Shawkl’s BCQC 1 class! Kathy is so generous for putting it together – for free! The instructions are very clear, and she is quick to answer questions and comment on your work. I’ve learned the basic elements of making a crazy quilt block and am super excited to start the next course!

You’ve seen my progress through the recent WIP-TAST-ic Wednesday posts (39, 40, 41, and 42), but here are the final results!

And I can’t say how transformative the last task was – adding the lacy bits, buttons, beads, and charms just really took the block to a whole new level! Remember where I was in the last post, with this photo?

shawkl bcqc

And then the final ta-da! Wow!

shawkl bcqc

Let’s look a little deeper at all the bits and baubles! Starting in the top left corner, some buttons and lacey bits over a scalloped stitch:

shawkl bcqc

Woven ribbon roses mixed with glass beads:

shawkl bcqc

A small butterfly charm and button:

shawkl bcqc

A wonky button I inherited from my mom over a decorate stitch with French knot ribbon roses:

shawkl bcqc

Two tiny bee charms with a row of colonial knot flowers:

shawkl bcqc

A little bird charm with a shell star button surrounded by other decorated stitches (including Fargo ribbon roses):

shawkl bcqc

Ladybug buttons creeping up a fly stitch ribbon rose vine:

shawkl bcqc

I cut apart some flower-shaped ricrac meant for scrapbooking for these tulips:

shawkl bcqc

I dissected a lace table runner long ago (I used part of it before!) and added a little lacey rose embellishment and a glass leaf bead:

shawkl bcqc

Ribbon irises and a little bug charm, sitting next to a row of seam stitches:

shawkl bcqc

A dragonfly created out of some vintage heart ribbon and beads, with clover buttons and an embellished seam:

shawkl bcqc

My old friend, the black widow and her web (I was bit twice by a black widow, if you hadn’t heard – and survived to tell the tale!):

shawkl bcqc

A cluster of baubles:

shawkl bcqc

I “signed” the block (and erased my initials from the full photo in case you were wondering what the blobby bit was):

shawkl bcqc

I finished it off with some backing-turned-binding and a tube to hang from a dowel rod. It isn’t that neat, but it gets the job done:

shawkl bcqc

While I am proud of my first crazy quilt block, there are mistakes galore (that I’ve learned from, yay!), and I especially don’t like the lower left corner – it’s too stiff, dark, and heavy for balance. I also am not sure I would want to put so much pizazz into an actual full quilt, but for a single block the size of a piece of paper, it was loads of fun piling everything on top!