quilted pillow

I whipped up a pillow today for my mother-in-law. When she moved to Indy, she gave me a lot of her sewing room items, which included things her mother had worked on. Now that Gayle is moving into her own place back here to be around all us kids, I thought it would be nice to gift one of them back to her.

quilted_pillow_1

I am not sure what Delores had originally intended with it, but I made it a pillow cover (I used the envelope-style pillow tutorial at The Happy Housie).

quilted_pillow_2

Boy picked out the back fabric – he said it must have birds! I did mess up there – I wanted the opening in the back to be the other way, but at least I got the birds orientated correctly!

quilted_pillow_3

It was a little tricky – the quilted top measured 21″ but I could only find pillow forms in either 18″ or 24″. I went with the larger version, with Boy’s suggestion in mind: if it was too big, I could take some stuffing out. It is a tight fit, but it seems to have managed ok!

quilted_pillow_4 quilted_pillow_5

(Cat for size.)

zelda crest mug rug

Boy and I both adore the Zelda games, so this is really for both of us, though I tell him it is his:)

zelda_mug_rug_1

I got the pattern from Our Nerd Home, and embroidered it over break. This one is really thick compared to my first attempt! I used three layers of fabric all told, with some thin batting and stabalizer between the first two (the third simply covered my crazy embroidery backside). It has a really great heavy feel to it, I love it.

zelda_mug_rug_2

It was, however, the first time I tried using bias tape, and I could certainly use some more practice!

weighted pincushion organizer

Sew Mama Sew posted about Elizabeth’s Fabric Focus with a free PDF pattern of a weighted pincushion organizer. Now that I am sewing a little more regularly (being mostly jobless this semester, and all), I am constantly frustrated with all the extra threads and fabric snips that seem to go all over the place. So, when I saw this, I just had to try it! One of the toughest parts for me was finding coordinating fabric in my stash since I am trying to stay frugal.

I had a lot of fun learning how to make this. It was my first time using rice for weight, and I have many more ideas for that!

weighted_pincushion_organizer_1

The pattern did not call for embellishments, but I just had to give it a try. My scallops are a little wonky, but it was only the second time I had tried fancy stitches so give me some credit! (Side note: my machine broke mid-project and Boy and I took it all apart and found the cause, oiled her well, and cleaned her up like new – a screw had loosened over time, allowing a spring to slip, which caused the feeder dog to fail. Thank goodness for Bernina’s build quality – she is going on 30 years old!!)

weighted_pincushion_organizer_2

I also added some old lacey stuff I had laying around to bring out the pockets a little more, with teeny buttons.

weighted_pincushion_organizer_3

A cool feature of this project is that the scrap bin detaches so I can put it wherever it is needed. I really fell in love with this pattern, and I am ever grateful for the people at SMS and people like Elizabeth to offer free tutorials. Thanks so much!