WIP-TAST-ic Wednesday 18

Time traveling, here! I made progress on my rice stitch sampler for TAST, though it was late and I messed up on my argyle sock so I need to pick out some of it and start again.

I made progress on my quilt, also. I have most of the bits fused on, though I have to say this will likely be the last time I try fused appliqué. Though I followed directions, much of it is coming off and will have to be sewn down anyway. It is quite frustrating, but since the quilt is for me and mine, I don’t mind it so much. However it turns out, it will suit the purpose of keeping us warm! I started embroidering the quilt too – and adding beads – knowing it will pretty much mean I have to hand quilt it. I may end up just tacking it, we will see.

WIP-TAST-ic Wednesday 17

Ok, I cheated – I forgot to publish this on Wednesday! Nevertheless, here goes. I did not get my TAST project finished last time, but I did make progress. Because I am behind there, and also because I cannot see myself filling up a pennant with the satin stitch, I am skipping this week’s challenge. Anyway, the TAST WIP is the rice stitch:

And, when I was making the cassette pouch from Lysa Flower, I made quite a mess as you might recall. I spent a portion of time tidying up and I noted that I still have gobs of fabric I inherited from my gramma. I decided to make something big to try to use some of it up. That plan didn’t pan out as well as I had hoped as I won’t be using very much, but I did embark on a quilt (and yet, didn’t I say here that you probably wouldn’t find me making a quilt just because? Sheesh.) I am using her fabrics, but just not enough to make a dent. That said, I am getting to use a lot of different kinds of fabrics (hers and mine) and, for the first time, the “cheater” way for appliqué using double-sided fusible webbing. Check out my fabric “stickers” below:

Learning about this method of appliqué has been fun. It is simple so I understand the draw to it, but I think it is like the argument of machine quilting versus hand quilting. I will always prefer hand quilted items, followed by master machine quilters (the ones who do custom work), and then lastly the standard machine quilting you’ve seen me use here. I, too, will always prefer needle-turned appliqué in comparison to this “sticker” type.

Now, one really cool thing I learned, which was quite by miserable accident, is a unique characteristic of dryer sheets. Once during my sticker creation, I accidentally fused the webbing directly to my hot iron. “Egads,” I shrieked! I immediately reached for my iron-out, but then I paused to think. A quick google search brought me to Make-It-Do’s Dyer Sheet Thrift post (her link to the original article at Real Simple is no longer valid). I was skeptical at first, but holy cow, that was magic! All you have to do is let your iron cool enough to touch it (set it to low heat), wad up a dryer sheet, and scrub the mess away. Then carefully clean up the oil residue that eeks out of the sheet. Ta-da! I did follow it up with iron-out just for surety everything was fine, but this is definitely a trick that I’m saving for later!

Colored Pencil Techniques 5

This post is a bit overdue as I finished this drawing about a week ago. The colored pencil course has been over for a few weeks now, but I didn’t get the last two projects completed in class so they became homework. I was able to finish this one up at Boy’s office during a lull. I wasn’t too keen on the theme, as this sort of thing really isn’t my style, but any practice makes you better, so I still put effort into it. Tom provided us a dolphin cut-out to speed along the drawing.

Here you can see the process of changing colored pencil into something that looks more like paint by using the simple product of baby oil that we learned about earlier. The sky is only about half blended with oil.

Colored pencil dolphin with baby oil

In this photo, the whole sky is blended with oil. The oil adds character; depending upon how you control it, you can gently blend colors or do a somewhat blocky/sketchy look like I’ve done here.

Colored pencil dolphin with baby oil

And finally, here is the finished colored pencil drawing, blended with baby oil. You can really see how it adds vibrancy and depth to the colored pencils. The black went from a patchy grey-ish tone to (mostly) solid black.

Colored pencil dolphin with baby oil

I learned a valuable lesson, but had made the same mistake on the last drawing of the course already: add black after blending other colors. When you look closely at this piece, you can see some smudging from it. I’m not sure when I will get around to finishing the last drawing, as things have been kinda busy, but I like the theme better and found its colors to be more challenging, so I do hope to finish it within a reasonable amount of time. Who knows if that will happen!