I wasn’t sure I would have time for framing ribbon embroidery this week which is why I did not include this photo in the original post, but I did! Generally, I lag behind “finishing” projects but I was too excited to share it so I didn’t wait, obviously.
Tatiana’s preference is to not use frames with glass. My house nearly requires glass with the amount of daily dust it produces, but my stumpwork Poppies and Santa Barbara Daises cannot be framed (without an expensive custom shadow-box) and I will be dealing with that already. I agree that the ribbon embroidery effect would be lost behind glass, too. Tatiana and others have provided good tips on keeping them clean, and we always have cans of compressed air laying around so I’ll be good to go.
As far as how I made it ready for framing, I’ve found a lot of resources over the years, and the most recent one to hit my feedly list was from Amina, so I’ll throw a shout-out over to her at Stitch Floral:) It is a super easy tutorial to follow (and you can see her lovely work!). Incidentally, Amina began her history with embroidery in ribbon work, so I think it’s fitting that she helped me with my first piece!
One of my MIL’s friends wanted to share something she recently learned and fell in love with, and I got invited over to “wine club” to participate, too. Everyone pitched in for some yummy food, and she brought supplies and taught us about book folding. I’ve seen this type of project before and always wondered how it was done. Now I know! This is a simple heart pattern that can be found for free at FoldedBookArt.com. (Maya scoped it out; she is feeling better but back on antibiotics and already went through a round of ear drops, too, poor thing.)
Bonus, the book I got is called “Organized To Be The Best! New Timesaving Ways To Simplify And Improve How You Work” by Susan Silver. I might flip through it a bit and learn something useful!
This week’s work-in-progress is back down to a single project: TAST – the sheaf stitch. I forgot my black thread at home today, so I could not start with the title segment as usual. But I found so many ideas! Holy cow, I really shouldn’t be surprised anymore. Every time I think “ok, this stitch is fairly limited”, all the other TAST participants blow my mind. I must direct you to Elizabeth at Quieter Moments – she really went to town exploring this stitch and had some amazing ideas that will surely influence my own sampler.
Below is not a project – just a test. After my colored pencil class, I began wondering if I could bring my new-found skill to sewing. I played around with the idea to use hand-coloring on Mabel the Raccoon’s lantern, so I needed to test this out. After a couple internet videos to figure it all out, I got out my box of crayons. Then, to compare, I used Prismacolor colored pencils. I wasn’t sure it would work the same, but since Prismacolor has a wax base, I figured they might. So, like the scientist I am, I controlled the available variables.
I duplicated the same ideas with each, using the same fabric: a circle blending red and blue; applying light, medium, and heavy pressure in brown; softly blending what I might do for the lantern with yellow and orange; a quick flower sketch to see what a drawing would look like in pinks and orange; a rectangle divided between using a white crayon/pencil backing versus applying color directly to the fabric (the colored pencil square also has a middle block using a colorless blender as a base), all in blue; and then a section where I did not apply iron heat to see how different the effect is (with the same blue). I used papertowels and a hot iron and was let down that no color came off on the papertowels. I don’t know what went wrong, but I know I didn’t like any of the results and have decided that I am not a person to hand-color their fabrics. At least I tried!