No WIPs or TAST to report today but not for the reasons you may think! Nay, it is for a lack of “in-progress” alone that this post contains merely words, for I have finished my last TAST pennant and the huck towel and the UFO challenge. Unfortunately, I haven’t had a moment to photograph them but I expect posts out by the end of the week. Huzzah!
Let me tell you about Shawkl’s BCQC 1 class! Kathy is so generous for putting it together – for free! The instructions are very clear, and she is quick to answer questions and comment on your work. I’ve learned the basic elements of making a crazy quilt block and am super excited to start the next course!
And I can’t say how transformative the last task was – adding the lacy bits, buttons, beads, and charms just really took the block to a whole new level! Remember where I was in the last post, with this photo?
And then the final ta-da! Wow!
Let’s look a little deeper at all the bits and baubles! Starting in the top left corner, some buttons and lacey bits over a scalloped stitch:
Woven ribbon roses mixed with glass beads:
A small butterfly charm and button:
A wonky button I inherited from my mom over a decorate stitch with French knot ribbon roses:
Two tiny bee charms with a row of colonial knot flowers:
A little bird charm with a shell star button surrounded by other decorated stitches (including Fargo ribbon roses):
Ladybug buttons creeping up a fly stitch ribbon rose vine:
I cut apart some flower-shaped ricrac meant for scrapbooking for these tulips:
I dissected a lace table runner long ago (I used part of it before!) and added a little lacey rose embellishment and a glass leaf bead:
Ribbon irises and a little bug charm, sitting next to a row of seam stitches:
A dragonfly created out of some vintage heart ribbon and beads, with clover buttons and an embellished seam:
My old friend, the black widow and her web (I was bit twice by a black widow, if you hadn’t heard – and survived to tell the tale!):
A cluster of baubles:
I “signed” the block (and erased my initials from the full photo in case you were wondering what the blobby bit was):
I finished it off with some backing-turned-binding and a tube to hang from a dowel rod. It isn’t that neat, but it gets the job done:
While I am proud of my first crazy quilt block, there are mistakes galore (that I’ve learned from, yay!), and I especially don’t like the lower left corner – it’s too stiff, dark, and heavy for balance. I also am not sure I would want to put so much pizazz into an actual full quilt, but for a single block the size of a piece of paper, it was loads of fun piling everything on top!
I have a cold. I say this because I did not go to work anywhere this week, and work is where I left my TAST supplies, so you know what that means – I didn’t do any TAST and now I am another week behind! Oi!
I haven’t felt well so I’ve mostly laid around watching TV shows and napping, but I did have moments of energy to do something productive. I’ve almost completed something I started May of last year! I’m doing it as part of my embroidery guild’s “UFO” challenge – to complete an “unfinished object” that was started prior to this year by our meeting in November. Because all I need to do now is one little thing, I’ll save the good photos of it for a separate post, but here is a teaser:
And my BCQC block now has ribbon embroidery! Very little left to do here, as well. I already signed up for the next course!
Stay healthy out there.