2018 TAST

Pintangle's Take a Stitch Tuesday (TAST) by Sharon Boggon

You’ve read about my idea for this here, right? Ok! See all completed TAST posts here.

I completed Sharon of Pintangle’s 2018 TAST Challenge! I had one stitch left, #32 Buttonholed Herringbone. I simply dug out my Stitch #5 Herringbone pennant and changed one of the stitches to a buttonholed version. Ta-da:

I will post again about this TAST project since I still need to sew each pennant to some pretty fabric and make a long strip of bunting. I’m not sure when that will be – hand-sewing has my heart much more than machine stitching, but I do want to see this completed.

TAST was great – I challenged myself, explored stitches and color groups in ways I hadn’t done before, and have a record of my work! I also have proof I could follow-through on a long-term craft project – and proof that I can prioritize a self-directed project solely for pleasure. My skills increased, my creativity is expanded, and my pride earned a notch because I did it!

I haven’t possibly learned all there is to know about embroidery stitches, so I might look at 2019 TAST for new stitches in a different project, or I might try out Sharon’s Beyond TAST Challenge (though I am not sure I am ready for that yet).

Looking back, I prefer the organic mash of the later Roundup pennants I made over the stiff formalized earlier versions. At the end, I had several stitches on backlog so I could pair up ones that complimented each other, which is why the numbers skip all over. I liked that approach, so I’ve toyed around with the idea of designing a sampler project someday also.

I am super glad Sharon releases a single stitch each week rather than a full list for the year. I think, as a newb, I would have felt so overwhelmed by them all, or maybe tried to skip some thinking they were easy and I’d get back to it the next week which was difficult to manage time-wise often enough as it was! I know this is why I haven’t just sat down to make my own project starting with the first stitch in her dictionary or any of the books I have, and ending on the last.

That said, now I have the confidence and self-discipline to try something like that out!

TAST: Roundup 5

Pintangle's Take a Stitch Tuesday (TAST) by Sharon Boggon

You’ve read about my idea for this here, right? Ok! See all completed TAST posts here.

Without further adieu, front and back:

This is my last TAST pennant. No, no, don’t congratulate me yet! I have a single stitch left. See, after completing the last pennant, I ran into an issue – a big issue! I ran out of the fabric! So, I had to force as many stitches as possible onto this pennant – which actually wasn’t hard. Except for one. ONE! Ugh. But, I have a plan for it, so no worries. Anyway, up next is Stitch #46 Barb Stitch:

Stitch #31 Vandyke Stitch – totally would have been more awesome in perle cotton, but I did not have any on hand. You can barely tell that the center line has a lovely braided effect. However, I have done this stitch before so I do know about that – you can find it on my Butterfly Pillow.

That pillow also has Stitch #42 Coral Stitch. I tried to work it with the little knots spaced differently. Then there is Stitch #47 Berry Stitch. This is a neat variation – I usually add a straight stitch if I need to fill in a detached chain stitch, but adding a second detached chain inside (or outside, depending on how you work it), would definitely stand out more. Stitch #40 Woven Detached Chain is what makes up the stem and leaf of the little flower motif. Both times, the chain stitch collapsed into a linear stitch. I’ll need more practice with it!

Now, if Stitch #28 Half-Chevron wasn’t so versatile, I could have had room for the last stitch! But, I love it when stitches can be applied in so many ways so I just had to experiment with this one. The top (blue and purple) overlap. The two purples mirror each other. The second purple and second blue are offset. The pinkish-purple is turned sideways and reminds me of the Flying Geese quilt pattern. The dark blues each make a box – one with the points outward, and one inward. And the dark purple makes a little windmill effect.

Now, that single last stitch! It will be super easy to do, once I dig out the pennant I need…

TAST: Roundup 4

Pintangle's Take a Stitch Tuesday (TAST) by Sharon Boggon

You’ve read about my idea for this here, right? Ok! See all completed TAST posts here.

Front and back as expected:

So, like the last few pennants, this one is obviously a collection of stitches. Here we have Stitch#24 Twisted Lattice Band. I really love the texture!

Stitch #30 Triangular Butthonhole Stitch – not my most creative experience, but it was not on my Buttonhole Pennant, so I had to add it somewhere.

Then Stitch #42 Cloud Filling. The top portion is what it looks like when the threads are pulled tight, and the bottom portion with softer tension. This is one of those stitches that would have worked better in perle cotton, but TAST became a mobile project, so I worked with what I had packed each time. (Maybe you noticed I stopped using beads early on!)

So close to being done with 2018 TAST! Yay!