TAST: Rice Stitch

Pintangle's Take a Stitch Tuesday (TAST) by Sharon Boggon

You’ve read about my idea for this here, right? Ok! See all completed TAST posts here.

I got a bit behind with TAST, I think largely due to the difficulty of turning the Rice Stitch into a motif all on its own. But I finally completed it! In its full front and back glory:

TAST: rice stitch

TAST: rice stitch

I played around with how to layer what I am calling the “rice” on top of the cross stitch, which is the basis for the rice stitch. I hope it is all pretty self-explanatory by looking at them. The only “tricky” one is the third row, which looks like I layered two rows of cross-stitching but I did not. You can tell that from looking at the backside. Doing that would have been faster than making the rice stitch, though;)

TAST: rice stitch

I settled on an argyle style sock as my motif. It basically is a weird satin stitch design on top of cross-stitch, though, when you really think about it.

TAST: rice stitch

And the title portion – I made the “rice” stitches as big as the cross-stitches so again it looks like row three. For a sampler, I do wish I had made them more like tiny “rice” pieces but I’ve since moved on from this one!

TAST: rice stitch

In other thoughts, I am glad I have decided to make a combined pennant for the stitches I have “missed”. It helps alleviate some stress of trying to come up with a dedicated pennant for stitches that do not have much variation (French Knot, Satin, etc), but still let’s me catalog them. And practice is always needed!

WIP-TAST-ic Wednesday 19

I have a lot of progress on my quilt!

It should have been finished by now because it was meant to be fast and easy but my imagination is just doing everything it can to slow it down. I am fighting to find the balance! When it is all said and done, you’ll see everything in beautiful ironed detail:D I’ll also explain how off-pattern I got. Up next is the challenging task of machine sewing the appliqué pieces where I can, and then hand-sewing the rest. Yes, I planned this poorly – but I had trusted the fusible appliqué, what can I say?

As for TAST, I finally did complete week 15’s rice stitch! It is currently drying after having sprayed it with water to remove the ink lines so I will probably post about it tomorrow. I then decided that once this week’s stitch was announced (whipped wheel), I realized that if I kept skipping stitches that don’t have much variation to them, I would be missing out on too much! Therefore, I decided to collect these on a single pennant (or more as the year unfolds). I started back with week 13, the buttonhole wheel that I skipped since I kind of added it to the buttonhole week’s pennant. So far this pennant has four separate stitches on it, but I will likely hold off on posting it in better detail until I fill it up. You may notice that I went a little bonkers with the “font”. I was in a hurry – if you hadn’t noticed with prior examples, the text is not the portion I care about. I enjoyed the challenge of “how fast can I get started with red thread?” ;)

WIP-TAST-ic Wednesday 18

Time traveling, here! I made progress on my rice stitch sampler for TAST, though it was late and I messed up on my argyle sock so I need to pick out some of it and start again.

I made progress on my quilt, also. I have most of the bits fused on, though I have to say this will likely be the last time I try fused appliqué. Though I followed directions, much of it is coming off and will have to be sewn down anyway. It is quite frustrating, but since the quilt is for me and mine, I don’t mind it so much. However it turns out, it will suit the purpose of keeping us warm! I started embroidering the quilt too – and adding beads – knowing it will pretty much mean I have to hand quilt it. I may end up just tacking it, we will see.