WIP-TAST-ic Wednesday 39

Speaking of the beginner’s crazy quilt course, I sewed together my first block. While I enjoy the colors together and do plan to use this in a different project, I’ve decided to sew a different color combination for the purposes of the class. You’ll see that maybe by next week! It’s basically paper piecing, but on the muslin foundation. That made it a wee bit extra annoying (shove all that back under the needle, smooth it out, stitch a few inches, pull it all back out, clips the threads, iron it, shove all that back under the needle, and repeat, repeat, repeat), but I think that once I complete one, I would enjoy it so much more. You know, because I can think about the awesome end result!

As far as the TAST portion of today’s post… Well, I’m still not there yet. I sent off my book chapter edits but I recently got my tourguide comments back so now I need to work on that. And I enrolled in some online classes at StackSkills to amp up some of my skillz (it’s like Craftsy but for tech stuff; PopSci runs some awesome discount deals). I don’t like having too many pots on the fire so TAST is taking a step back since it’s already on that back burner in a house in a few villages over…Have no fear – I will return to it!

PS I updated the gallery over in the Library.

Shawkl’s PVC Quilt Hoop

As I mentioned, I enrolled in a beginner’s crazy quilt course – Kathy at Shawkl runs it for free and I can tell already that she poured a lot of her heart and soul into the class. Anyway, I needed a quilter’s hoop, and though I have a large round one that could work, I opted to try what she uses (if you want to be like the teacher, do as the teacher does!). She has a free set of instructions, and as long as you have access to the PVC supplies and a pipe cutter, it only takes about ten minutes to put together and it’s quite cheap! And I don’t know about what car you drive, but with my back seats pulled down, the 10″ poles fit fine in my full-size sedan car.

Boy was skeptical that ½” pipe would be sturdy enough, but I trusted Kathy – you know, the creator of the device. However, Boy did suggest using the grey pipe (schedule 80) rather than white (I think white schedule 40 would have been fine, too!). He thinks I should prime and glue it, but currently I have no intention to do so. If it does get wobbly or something during work, I will consider glueing it into two parts. I want to be able to dismantle it when not in use, though.

More to follow once I get all my supplies together!

Martha’s French Boutis Bag

I finished the French boutis bag I’ve been working on all summer and have decided to gift it to my gramma who travels frequently and may need a nice place for her jewelry or such. I was going to drive through the area yesterday on my way down to Living Archaeology Weekend but now I’ve had to bail out on that fun adventure so she won’t be getting it til probably Thanksgiving rather than her birthday but better late than never! If you are anywhere near LAW, I highly recommend making the trip for a fun day out.

Here are some shots of the boutis part after completing the rolled hem. The lining fabric is behind it – I think the colors are so complimentary!

French boutis zipper pouch

I also want to point out that traditionally, you don’t use knots in French boutis. I did (obviously!) – no one will see them and it still feels uncomfortable to not use them much of the times I try.

French boutis zipper pouch

Then I had to carefully size and cut the lining, and I opted to go a little further than the directions said and used a baste stitch to secure the hem. I chose a black thread so I could easily see it to remove it once I was finished attaching it to the boutis.

French boutis zipper pouch

I skipped taking any photos until the end result, but this pattern did not come together like other bag patterns. Instead of sewing the lining to the outer fabric with the zipper wedged between them, this one calls for attaching the zipper first completely to the outer fabric, then attaching the lining using hidden stitches. This could be for many reasons, but what I learned was that I think I like this way better. It resulted in less bagginess of the liner, and though more time consuming, seemed less aggravating than my results using the machine (so yeah, this bag is 99% hand-sewn; only the little zipper tabs were machine-stitched).

French boutis zipper pouch French boutis zipper pouch French boutis zipper pouch

I stitched a little “2018” to the inside of the bag just as a remembrance. I’ve been trying to do that on many of my “first” projects. This bag turned out lovely! I am grateful to having a local embroidery guild that helps me learn new things.

French boutis zipper pouch